Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

The Red Robe

I have a red satin robe. It hangs at the back of the closet, near the rack where he used to keep his shoes. I'm reminded of it every so often when it falls to the floor, its silky fabric too delicate to cling to the hanger with any real determination.

I'm not sure why I keep it. Certainly not to remind me of him - our two children do that every day, the boy a spitting image. When he left, I purged the house of everything he gave me, though he (ever the caretaker) insisted I keep the things of value: engagement ring, diamond earrings, the big TV. But I didn't want these things. Sold them for bottom dollar just to have them out of my life.

The purging wasn't out of anger. None of this was his fault, you know. It was all mine, though my friends and family try to tell me otherwise. We weren't happy. He was always working. But I was the one who cheated, or at least wanted to. I misread intentions, believed that the one who got away was coming back. I was wrong. About all of it.

The robe was a gift, an uncomfortable gesture, not sure of the appropriateness of lingerie for a first Valentine's Day. At the time, his awkwardness was appealing, genuine. The matching red g-string is long gone, my body, older and softer, having outgrown such a small piece of fabric.

But I keep the robe, picking it up off the floor every few months. Placing it back on the hanger that has held it for 10 years. Maybe more. Once again finding its spot in the back of the closet, where he used to keep his shoes.

10 comments:

MrsJenB said...

I love how the first and last lines repeat "where he used to keep his shoes" - somehow it lends a bit of poetry to the entire story.

Very well written and heartbreaking. I'm fairly sure we all have that one piece of clothing that keeps falling of the hanger, and we keep picking it up and putting it back.

Andrea said...

If you hadn't labeled this fiction I would have asked if it were a true story, it's THAT well written.

I love the lines connecting, as well. This was great. Really powerful writing.

So Who Is The Crayon Wrangler? said...

I agree with the above posters. This piece has poetry in it. A wave of emotion that ebbs through the entire story bringing you with it. Well written on a really tough subject!

Cheryl said...

I love the image of the robe falling off, and all that it meant to her.

Jessica said...

Agree with the above comments, there is a flow about this that carries you right through and, if I didn't know you I would think it was non-fiction. So well done.

Jessica Anne said...

This is so beautifully written. I agree with everyone, it's poetry. I'm especially fond of this: "I'm reminded of it every so often when it falls to the floor, its silky fabric too delicate to cling to the hanger with any real determination." So well said, that's just exactly right.

The mad woman behind the blog said...

I wish I could add to the previous comments... other than: more please! And yes, poetry!

Wantapeanut said...

Thank you all for your amazing feedback. I'm just getting started here - this is very different writing for me!

In this piece, the robe is real, but everything else is fiction :)

Anonymous said...

This was beautiful. I loved the bit about the robe being too delicate to hold on to the hanger with any determination. In a way, I almost think it mirrors the end of their relationship. Or am I reading too much into it?

THE SARCASM GODDESS said...

So well written. Absolutely agree with the others, love the repetition of "where he used to keep his shoes."

Post a Comment